Saturday, November 7, 2015

update #9 - loving my (homeless) neighbors: Spain

"great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day." -- sally koch

The last couple of weeks have been very full for me. Full of places to be, full of things to do, full of new cultural experiences (good and frustrating), full of wonderful conversations, full of people. Being an introvert, weeks like that have the potential to be very exhausting. But, while I did feel very tired at the end of most days, it was a truly fulfilling couple of weeks.


Filling bags with food to hold people
over between lunch and breakfast.
Now that I'm a bit more "settled in," I have the energy to be able to meet with more people during the day, which has been so great. The time I've been able to pour into new friendships has allowed the relationships to grow deeper, which, in turn, has helped me feel a bit more settled. It's amazing how much of a difference it can make to feel known in a foreign place. Even just to feel heard can be quite helpful.



In the last couple of weeks, I've been able to spend some time volunteering at Amfremar*, the soup kitchen in our neighborhood that serves breakfast and lunch to my (homeless) neighbors. Before leaving Spain last year, I had the opportunity to serve there for a couple of months and have been really looking forward to being back there, tangibly loving my neighbors.


Since going back there, I've started to recognize more faces on the streets as I walk through my neighborhood. People I never would have guessed might be struggling financially. People who have a story. People who have something to share.

I can't fix their problems, but I can offer a listening ear. I can give my time to help prepare and serve lunch. I can treat them with respect. I can tangibly love my neighbors. All of them.

The video below is a news story about Amfremar:
(For those who don't understand Spanish, the story shows and explains that Amfremar serves between 30 and 40 people two meals a day and sends them with a sack dinner at lunch. There is one cook in the kitchen, so during meal times, volunteers and a couple of office staff will come help serve the food. Amfremar also offers a place to sleep for up to 10 people, as well as counseling services to help these people get back up on their feet.)


*Amfremar stands for Amigos Malagueños de Familias Rehabilitados y Marginados (Malagueñan Friends of Rehabilitating and Marginalized families).



♥ mk

No comments:

Post a Comment