Wednesday, December 10, 2014

update #4 - loving my (homeless) neighbors: Seattle

"we think sometimes that poverty is only being hungry, naked, and homeless. the poverty of being unwanted, unloved and uncared for is the greatest poverty. we must start in our own homes to remedy this kind of poverty." -- Mother Theresa

Last night I went to a local shelter to serve dinner to some of my homeless neighbors. Since it wasn't raining, I decided to walk down to the shelter, which is always helpful in clearing my mind, slowing my thoughts, and preparing me for the experience and conversations I'm about to have.

And I had no idea just what I was in for.

Before the meal, we all sang some Christmas carols together and it was such a beautiful sight, looking at all of these people who are visibly hurt, broken, struggling to make it another day opening their mouths and singing. It's amazing what a little bit of music can do to lift spirits. And to see a room filled with men and women desperate for hope, finding some joy in the moment as we all sang together, gave me an overwhelming sense of love for these people I'd just met.

It keeps things in perspective, really, to meet people who don't have a house or apartment to call home, and yet can smile, finding joy in the midst of such pain. My heart broke for my neighbors there, but I also felt so much hope for them because of their outward demonstration of hope, joy, and peace.

The conversations I had with a couple of them after the meal were such a good reminder to me that these neighbors of mine are just as broken as I am, because we all share in our humanity. And they can also have just as much joy and hope as I can.

And so I gladly and humbly plan to return to that shelter to not only serve my neighbors, but also listen to their stories. There's so much I can learn from them. But, more importantly, when I slow down and actively engage in conversation with my homeless neighbors, it gives them a chance to regain their sense of humanity, feeling valued and loved again. And what greater gift is there to give than sharing in Christ's love with one another? 'Tis the season, after all. :)



♥ mk

No comments:

Post a Comment