Tuesday, November 25, 2014

tuesday update #3

"when it rains, look for rainbows. when it's dark, look for stars"

I'm sitting in a coffee shop as it pours rain outside and I'm not even in Seattle. Kind of makes me wonder if the rain follows me. ;)

After spending a good portion of my upbringing in the Seattle area, I feel like I've paid my dues and gotten my fair share of rainy and overcast days. I'm not really the biggest fan of rainy days (unless I can get away with cozying up and not going outside for the day), but have learned to appreciate the beauty of what a rainy day can mean.

It forces me to slow down.
Allows me to wrap up in a blanket and get cozy.
Makes me rest.
Is the perfect day for a hot chocolate or cup of tea.
Helps me see the importance of the rain for the healthy growth of plants, flowers, trees.
Makes me look for rainbows.

There are times right now, as I'm raising support to return to Spain full-time, that can feel like I'm stuck in a perpetual rain cloud. But it's not as gloomy as it could be. Or as I thought it might be.

My perspective is no longer on feeling stuck in a grey, overcast sky, but on what is happening as it's raining. I'm seeing the amazing blessing of the "forced" slower pace of life that allows me to rest and actually live in the moment. I'm able to be fully present for conversations, not worrying, planning or thinking about what's next, but see that time as a gift. I enjoy slowing down and sipping a cup of tea.

I look for the rainbows, keeping my eyes up.

Why dwell on the frustrations that the rain can bring - the extra traffic, not being able to get work done as quickly, the forced change of plans - when there's so much beauty because of the rain? There's growth that comes from it. There's rest. Enjoyment. Peace.

We can probably all stand to have a few more rainy days. And for those who are like me and have trouble really enjoying them: just embrace them. We can't control the weather. We can't control the "rainy day" phases of life. So take it as a gift and rest.

Enjoying some chai tea at my temporary office on this rainy day :)



mk



No comments:

Post a Comment