Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Seeking first to understand

It's already been a week since I arrived in Jerusalem, yet it feels like I've done at least a month's worth of exploring, adventuring, seeing new things and meeting new people. I don't have as much time to write, but below are some pictures that I hope help tell the story of this journey...
It's been an incredible blessing to be in such a beautiful land, surrounded by some truly amazing people who are living out everyday peacemaking in the midst of terrible conflict. More than anything, I see and feel a deep sense of love here from the israelis and palestinians - for the land, for family, and, most important (and, at times, shocking), for their neighbors. The people in this land are here for the long haul, so peacemaking practices are relevant and necessary. This has been so evident in the conversations we've gotten to have with israelis and palestinians in the last week.
In a place that is ridden with conflict, there are seeds of hope.
♥ mk

1 comment:

  1. We can all know, even fools. But the point is not to know, it's to understand! What an awesome desire, especially in a land that is so torn. It reminds me of something I read long ago:

    “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
    - Marie Curie

    Cheers,
    Derek

    ReplyDelete